Dining rooms come in all shapes and sizes, but the furniture essentials are essentially the same. You'll likely want a table and chairs and some storage for dishes and other items. Other pieces, like a buffet or hutch, may also be a good idea, depending on your needs. You can create a functional and stylish dining room that meets your personal tastes and requirements with these basics in mind.
A dining room is obviously meant to be used for eating. Unfortunately, many people think they need to have a great deal of fancy, expensive furniture pieces to make their dining room "look good." This is not true. You can create an aesthetically pleasing and functional dining room space with just a few key items.
Dining Rooms Essential Furniture
We have seen living rooms with dining room tables, bedrooms with dressers that double as buffets, and hallways that turn into impromptu dining areas when needed. None of these places are really dining rooms; they're just using the extra space for storage or another function. So, what constitutes a dining room piece of furniture?
- Tables. The first important key to any dining room is having a table in it. This will be the focal point of your room, so you want to make sure it's something that will look good with other furniture pieces around it. Make sure that your table works well with different-sized dining chairs and that even though the chairs might look good with the table, they don't clash.
- Lighting. Lighting is very important as well. You want to be able to see your guests and their food, so make sure you have a light source placed correctly on or around the table. Table lamps often work best for this purpose, but chandeliers can look refined and elegant, too.
- Chairs. Dining room chairs are generally upholstered unless you have a dining chair that doubles as something else, like an ottoman. Chairs should complement your table but not be too showy or flashy. Make sure they are at the correct height for your table and can fit in with any theme you are going for in your dining room.
- Buffet/ Sideboard. The last important key to any dining room is the buffet or sideboard, which can double as a bar cart during parties. You want this piece of furniture to be able to store all your serving dishes and beverages but also look good with your table and chairs. Buffets can come in many different styles and shapes to match the rest of your dining room furniture or be something unique to make a statement.
Read More : Tips for Maximizing Home-Office Productivity
Things To Consider In Buying Dining Room Furniture
Dining room furniture has to be built to last and be very comfortable. Therefore, a lot of thought goes into designing a dining room ensemble; it's not enough that the table and chairs match – they must feel good too!
There are several factors you need to consider in buying dining room furniture:
- The size and layout of your home
Whether you have a large dining room or a small one, you'll need to choose the furniture to fit comfortably. If you don't have much space for storage, look for items with built-in cabinets and drawers.
Make sure the table is big enough to seat all your family members and friends; if possible, make your selection such that the table can accommodate the additional guests on special occasions. Choose a table design that complements your interior decoration.
- The room's décor and ambiance
Dining room furniture must blend in with the rest of your house – look for pieces that complement your existing decor, especially the walls and floors. Likewise, the color of the dining chairs should match that of the dining table – if you have a choice, go with items with a common color scheme.
Before purchasing your set, browse through some furniture stores in Toronto and get ideas for your décor – then look for a dining room suite that's similar to the ones featured in the pictures.
- Your lifestyle
Furniture manufacturers create different dining room furniture for families, couples, and individuals. If you have the space, go for a large table that can seat everyone in your family – on the other hand, if space is an issue, opt for smaller chairs with storage capabilities under them. Also, look at the functionality of each piece – don't just settle for looks. Pick dining room furniture that you can use easily.
- The comfort factors
Comfort is the primary reason people buy dining room furniture – don't compromise on it! The chairs must be well-padded and comfortable, especially if you plan to eat several meals there each day. Look for designs with arms and adjustable settings, especially if you're getting a table for your elderly relatives.
Read More : 5 Super Trendy Dining Tables
Best Dining Room Furniture Store in Toronto
If you're in the market for high-quality, stylish dining room furniture, we invite you to visit our furniture store in Toronto. With a wide variety of options to choose from, we are confident that you'll find the perfect pieces to complete your home décor.
Our team at InSTYLE Home & Rugs is passionate about helping our customers find the right dining room furniture for their needs and will work with you to ensure that you walk away satisfied with your purchase. Stop by today and let us help you furnish your dining room with beautiful, quality equipment!