If you're like most homeowners, you've probably given some thought to what should be in your living room. Maybe you have an idea of the perfect layout or know which pieces you need to complete the look. But what about the little details? What should every living room have, regardless of its size or style?
What Makes A Living Room Look Good?
Your living room is one of the most important rooms in your home. It's a place where you can relax and unwind after a long day, and it's also a space where you can entertain guests.
Do you feel that your living room does not have all the necessary items to be a functional space for your family? If you are looking to create a more appealing and useful space, take note of these tips.
Lighting: It is important to consider what kind of light will best fit your living space. The lighting should be bright enough to see what you will need in your living room. There are three different types of light: ambient, task, and accent. Each lighting is best used for specific purposes, so plan accordingly.
Comfort: You should choose the furniture that keeps your family's needs in mind. For example, if you have preschool children, you need to buy a sofa with built-in safety features such as corner guards and arm caps. More expensive doesn't always mean more comfortable; it is the opposite most of the time. Pay attention to the amount of support your furniture provides and how long it will take before it needs to be replaced.
Color Scheme: If you are decorating your living space on a budget, you need to consider choosing neutral paint colors. Neutral colors tend to have less pigmentation, so they require fewer coats of paint and sealer to cover large surface areas. You should also avoid choosing colors that look dirty and dull so you won't have to repaint them too often. Some ideas for contrast include using a dark color on your walls with light furniture, or vice versa.
Accent Pieces: You can add unique touches to your living room by adding small touches of personality such as wall art, floor pillows, and ottomans. You can also use accent pieces to bring attention to certain areas of your living room; for example, you can place an accent table in front of a window to create an area that will hold your plants or books.
Storage: No one wants their living space to look cluttered, so you should try to use your functional pieces in more than one way. For example, you can place a storage ottoman at the end of your sofa or next to your armchair that will be used every day. Not only will it help you keep everything organized, but it will also add an extra touch of comfort and style!
Once you have considered these tips and implemented them into your living space, you will see a big difference. Who knows, maybe you'll even want to invite people over so that they can see how neat and comfortable your living room is now!
Read more: What Furniture Goes In A Dining Room?
Living Room Essentials Checklist
Living rooms should be a place of comfort, relaxation, and welcome. When it comes to decorating your living room, there are a few essential pieces that every home should have. By focusing on these key items, you can create a warm and inviting space for friends and family to gather.
- Sofas and Loveseats: These are usually the focal points of living rooms, so comfort is important. Consider how many people will use the piece, whether it's for sitting or lying down, and what size will look best in your space. You can even mix and match a sofa or loveseat with other upholstered furniture, such as a chair.
- Coffee Tables: These can be small side tables or larger pieces that emphasize the couch as the centerpiece of your living room. Glass tops are ideal for showcasing decorative accents, while dark finishes look great with most colors and patterns.
- End Tables: These smaller pieces can stand independently or be paired with a sofa and other living room essentials.
- Chairs: Accent chairs, like décor items, should reflect your style. If you love to entertain, consider including an upholstered chair with a high back. Areas without tables should have at least one comfortable chair for reading or visiting.
- Rugs: These are an easy way to define the living room's boundaries and tie together the room's decorating elements. Coordinate rugs with your sofa, chairs, and other decor items, and use the same color palette. Area rugs can even serve as accent pieces, covering parts of your floor while adding a pop of color or pattern to an otherwise stark space.
- Mirrors: These can add depth and light to any room. They should reflect your style without detracting from other elements.
Read more: 5 Reasons to shop locally in Toronto
A well-furnished living room is a must for any home. Not only does it provide comfort and relaxation, but it can also be the perfect place to entertain guests. At InSTYLE Home & Rugs, we offer high-quality furniture and accessories that will help you create the perfect living space. Be sure to visit us today to find everything you need to furnish your living room, including sofas, chairs, tables, rugs, and more!